Wellness is about having the energy and vitality to do the things you love. To have a healthy body that doesn’t hold you back and to have a balance in your life that allows you to enjoy the small things.
With this in mind I developed the Wheel of Wellness, a model to help you understand the different components that create Wellness in your life.
Take a look at the Wheel of Wellness here, explore each of the four health essentials videos and get an understanding of how they all piece together.
Wellness is not about extremes, and it’s not achieved in one day, one workout or one good meal. Wellness is created when we work on our nutrition, exercise, sleep and happiness equally and consistently.
Here are 10 simple things you can do to get started:
- Build a foundation of movement: Aim to get 10,000 steps in every day and spend more of your day standing.
- Eat whole foods that you prepare at home.
- Organise your evening so you can get an additional half an hour of sleep and keep building on it. You should aim to reach 8-9 hours per night.
- Recognise the things that make you happy and do more of them: Write a list of the 10 things that bring you joy and start to bring these into your week in some way.
- Stay in touch with people who are important to you.
- Devote a little bit of time every week to yoga, stretching or massage.
- Drink more water.
- Get outside – whether it’s for a walk, exercise or a meeting.
- Focus on making the last three hours of your day relaxed so that you can have a quality night’s sleep – this means no large meals, screens or phones.
- Keep building on all of these steps.